How Can You Prepare for Google’s Page Experience Update?
What is Google’s Page Experience?
If you’re reading this, perhaps you recently noticed your organic website rankings sinking while some of your competitors received a boost. As the old saying goes, if you don’t have a plan, you plan to fail. Since this algorithm update began its rollout in May-June 2021, through the end of August 2021, you may be a bit late to the party.
Nevertheless, don’t worry; it’s nothing that can’t be changed. If you take the proper steps, it is most definitely still salvageable.
How can you prepare for Google’s Page Experience Update?
At this point, you may be playing catch-up in hopes to improve your website in anticipation of the remainder of the Google Page Experience Algorithm Update rollout. Here are the steps you can take to prepare accordingly.
Here are a few things you need to check out concerning your website before making the necessary improvements.
- Gauge is your website is user friendly. Google officiated the mobile-first indexing last year September, so by now, this should not be trouble. A mobile site’s friendliness determines how well it ranks in search engine optimization. Before proceeding to goggle page experience update, use a Mobile-Friendly Test to determines how responsive your site is. If you realize the responsiveness is out of an unfriendly web builder, make the necessary arrangement to migrate the site to a responsive builder.
- How fast is your loading speed? Loading speed is a vital element of page experience and boosts your ranking odds. A quicker loading page serves site visitors better. Gauge your website speed through tools like the Page Speed Insights, which analyzes your web content and runs a diagnostics of your page speed with recommendations on how to boost your site speed.
- Is your site secure? Unsecure sites risk the confidentiality of users’ data. Google’s new update is strict on web security in aid to offer the best user experience. A site’s security issue shows on the search console. After fixing the security requirements, go to ‘Security and Manual Actions’ on google browser to inform google that your security is now in check.
How do I optimize my page for experience update?
Google’s new Page Experience Update seeks to address certain features that would make or break a user’s impression on a webpage. These factors are common though have been given more weight now that Google’s algorithm will use to rank pages on search engine.
Increase your mobile friendliness
When designing a website, mobile responsiveness is the first consideration you make before choosing a theme. If your site is already live, don’t worry. It’s still not too late. Web builders have plugins, which facilitate site migrations.
If you are running an information site like a blog, it would be wise to use a responsive site like WordPress, and Shopify, or big commerce for e-commerce sites. A mobile responsive website must be menus short and well-fitting on the home page, fit the logo on the homepage and keep all CTAs above the fold.
Improve your site security
Google wants to protect users against any potential security threats on its platform. Lack of necessary SSL certifications will affect site ranking on SERP. Google’s search console is the easiest way to check your sites’ security status. Security encryption depends on the services offered. Comodo, for instance, is an excellent SSL for sites offering online money transactions.
Boost your site access speed
Another critical metric the google page experience update takes keen note of is the loading speed. Google user bouncing results indicate that once a site loads for more than 2 seconds, at least 32% of customers will bounce back. Google Page Speed Insights is a URL-loading sped analytic tool. It recommends various ways to boost the site speed. It also tests Core Web Vitals.
Content is a top consideration in Google’s top ranking. Regardless of your page security and best keyword matching, poor content quality leads to a lower ranking.
Enhance your content quality by matching your content with the right target audience. Write with human readers in mind not. Remember, you are not writing for search engines.
Use the skyscraper technique for better content. Skyscraper techniques call for research of best performing competitor’s content and improving it.
Always have a compelling title. Some content creators don’t get past the title. Great content begins with a catchy title.
Find usability issues through use heatmaps
Heatmaps provide users’ data; what they do on the web page, where they click, navigate to, and where they get stuck. User experience data provide more information on what should be done to improve web design and make it easier to navigate through the site.
Hotjar and Crazy Egg are popular tools that could help you boost your site visibility. Pay keen attention to every place clicked by a customer. Ensure links and CAT are active and lead to resourceful destinations; otherwise, the site visitors will be frustrated.
Like click heatmaps, check scroll heatmaps to know how deep users go on the site and time spent to fill the form. This data should help you improve where you perceive the visitors are experiencing difficulties.
Ensure bounce rates are at a minimum
Bounce rate is a vital requirement for an on-page experience update. A low bounce rate shows Google that your site has less value to users. It is a sign of a bad user experience. Reasonable bounce rate starts from 40% to around 25%. A high bounce rate means that site visitors are not sticking to your site. Add relevant content and improve your web designs to low the bounce rate.
There are common ways to lower bounce rate:
- Reduce CTAs. Many CTAs are overwhelming.
- Increase user engagement through videos and posters.
- Ensure the site is mobile responsive
- Improve the site navigation and make it easier for a user to find what they are looking for.
Get rid of Intrusive Interstitials
Interstitial visually blocks content. Users visit your site to try to get a solution to their issues. Your content must always remind clear and visible. There is a good way to present interstitials, which will not hurt google ranking. Have suitable ads settings in that they should appear after your page loads.